Monday 4 April 2011

My first year over

I have thourghly enjoyed this year and everything has offered me. I have opened my mind into new ways of thinking and improved in all areas quicker than I could have imagined. But my year wasn't all good and thats purely my fault.
Visual design has been an amazing journey that I will continue to excel in by exploring my environment and criticaly thinking how this could be stylized into a game and how do I shows it in a 2d picture. Exploring interesting environments such as the Space museum and the pumping station has lead new ideas to sneak in. I have never understood fully the funidemtal importance of perparing a sketch before continuing with final. Unfortunately I spent a lot of my time off and with the time I had I didn't utalize. But being a learning process I know what to expect and how much of my effort and concentration should be spent on my work. I have begun to use photoshop on a whole new level and with practice, I hope to be proficient with the software. I would apreciate some session devoted to getting my head round this complicated drawing tool and any other tutorials for me to embrace.
This is the first time I've used a 3d software and now I feel I have improved more than I could imagine. Some areas I can tackle with confidence and improving my skills in problem solving. Obviously their is more to learn but that is the beauty of it for me. I learned how much work is involved with making anything in the 3-dimentional and how many "layers" are applied to create a realistic feel. Before combating the software, I never knew that their is a mass amount of limitation that can be overcome such as the polygon limit for the game engine to run. Bump maps are a new thing for me to understand, letting the engine know where to catch shadows to creat the illusion of depth even on a flat plane.
Critical studies is something I regrettingly neglected but when I dived into the content, I astounded and enjoyed writing about the content, learning in a greater depth of the history of what I'm doing and areas that I need to think about and reguard. Also the freedom behind writing is a breath of fresh air. On a personal note, I will pay more attention to this section and acnowledge it's significance.
My main issue for this year was time management. The shock of a new life and the enormous amount effort is something I have recently opened my eyes to. This issue is something I have learnt the hard way which I will adress. Learn from your mistakes and not repeat them.

No comments:

Post a Comment